Sunday, December 8, 2013

Journal 39


The first week of December and I am getting the holiday itch. It didn’t help that I helped the Mission with a little shopping on the side for Black Friday. With only 15 more days left before I head back to Texas and my internship ends, it is becoming more and more important that I buckle down, get my hours, and finish my final papers. Things have to transition smoothly or I will have failed myself for this internship. For that reason, in order to help myself stay focused. My remaining journal entries will be used to focus primarily on my final project. And as how energy is one of the most important issues related to sustainable mountain development, I will be talking about some of the points I find most interesting.

Many people know the water cycle process. It is taught in schools and it makes the world go round. We all know how important water is to our lives. But few contemplate its relevance to our existence. With 95% of the human brain made of water and 82% of a person’s blood consisting of water it is mind-blowing that we, as in first world persons, have become slow blasé about water. For example, in Las Vegas, a town known for its desert surrounding, a single hotel (the Bellagio), has a water reservoir of 27million gallons.

With billions below the poverty line and millions more without access to clean, accessible water, it is important to recognize the efforts of the United Nations and others as they combat the issue of clean water. These institutions and organizations take the life giving essence of water and try to make it as available as possible. They do this through digging wells, providing water purification techniques, and introducing new ideas on how to use water as a renewable resource.

That is what I would like to focus on.  The importance of alternative energy and the magnificent role that water can play in cleaning up the world’s pollution, famine, diseases, and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment