Sunday, December 8, 2013

Journal 41


I have had an interesting week. It started off strong feeling great and going to the UN to work. About noon on Tuesday my world turned upside down and spent until today (Sunday) in my room on my bed reading, when I could, and living in a crazy experience of fever, coughing, and general uselessness.

Earlier I mentioned the water cycle and how snow can effect water flows in relation to farming and everyday existence. Well, I did this in a very generalized and easy to comprehend way. But that water cycle and the disruption of it leads into my next question. What can be done to prevent this disruption? The answer to that is surprisingly simple yet unbelievable difficult to achieve. The best means of fixing this disruption is to get people to use less water. That means everyone in first world countries spending less time; in showers, watering their lawns in the middle of the afternoon, and turning the faucet off in the middle of brushing their teeth, to name a few.

As I have hinted at and said directly, much of our water usage is because we lack a fundamental respect for water and its part in keeping us alive. We have become so un-sensitized about its use that we waste water unconsciously. So, to get people to use less water, it means to change people’s mindsets. But, how do we begin to gain a respect for water, when people spend hundreds of dollars a year on bottled water, and how do we get people to respect water enough to stop polluting it and causing fear of local drinking water, thus causing people to purchase that substance that makes up 82% of our very bloodstream? It is by finding solutions to these questions and inventing new means of water conservation, water distribution, and consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment