Friday, November 29, 2013

Journal 38


Being able to do an internship at the United Nations on behalf of the Kygyz Republic has been nothing short of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Here in New York City, I have had the chance to meet Ambassadors from all over the world. These Representatives of State are leaders at the front of global change for the positive. Their ability to take on a wide range of issues, from nuclear disarmament to sustainable development to international space law, is nothing short of inspiring. I wanted to take a step back from the usual articles that I write and use this journal segment to talk about the amazing people that I am fortunate to work with.

Because of the lack of space at the Mission I represent I work in the UN Library or at the New York Public Library (where I am right now). But every time that I go into the office to meet with the Ambassador or his staff, I see individuals working their hardest to make a positive difference. What is truly impressive about the people that work at the United Nations is the time in which it takes them to work on so many different projects at once. This small group of individuals are required to work on items in a week’s time that would take most other people months to deal with. The best of the best work here at the United Nations. Not to be pompous or self-aggrandizing. But because it’s a fact and a necessity. The people that work here are forced to do more in less time and are required to have the same level of proficiency in representing their country at a global level as other Embassy’s do at the international level.

As my time is coming to a close here at the United Nations it has been tremendous to engage intellectually on such a fast paced level.

No comments:

Post a Comment