Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Journal 32


Here is another revisiting of the MFG meeting I have been going over lately.

When I was invited to go, I was very excited to go to such a high-level meeting related to SMD. As an intern, it isn’t often a luxury given. What happened there though was something revolutionary, in my eyes. What others might have taken from it, I couldn’t say. But I had definitely taken much from it and have since written a half a dozen articles on the meeting.

As I was reviewing all the papers that I have written on the subject, I realized that I didn’t address the issue from my position as a member of the Utah International Mountain Forum. It is an issue of great relevance and one that I would like to address real quick. Of the several institutions present. The attendance of the Utah International Mountain Forum (UIMF) and its host educational institution Utah Valley University (UVU) was a truly important development. The reason being because they represent the community from a unique point of view. Fundamentally, educationally based, they represent a growing interest for SMD at the community level. Another way of looking at it is, the UIMF is a group of like-minded individuals (students) who, despite of being a more educationally based representation of SMD advocacy, represent a unique demographic (students). These proactive students are a representation of the growing need for SMD. And I, as a representative of this group of individuals at the meeting, was able to, in a small way, showcase our eagerness for change.

It was exciting to see community involvement. I hope that, if I ever get another chance, the next MFG meeting I attend will have these community based actors in the global spectrum, play a more significant role.

No comments:

Post a Comment