Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Journal 1


I’ve been sitting here for the last 30 min trying to figure out what it is that I want to say in my first ever Journal -- of my first ever internship. I haven’t actually sat here for 30min trying to figure it out, it’s just a number that has been fixated in my mind and one that I need to put down. I can assure you, the reader, that I have been sitting here longer, trying to figure out how to start. Because as every English major and professional writer out there knows, the beginning has to be just right.

Today is a special day. Today is the first official day of my internship. I say “official” because today is not, in fact, my first day on the job. I moved to New York City 6 days ago and have been working to play catch up on all readings related to my internship. I am by no means close to finished but have already put in a good 20 hours of straight reading. I say this now, and will most definitely come to regret saying this, but these hours spent reading are probably the most important hours of my internship.

These hours spent reading have all been about resolutions adopted by the United Nations for the last decade and a half, on Sustainable Mountain Development. They have been readings about Chapter 13 of Agenda 21, the Bishkek Mountain Reform/Summit, and the Johannesburg Implementation program… just to name a few. These readings outline the actions, activities, concerns, and observations of people around the world that care strongly about the Earth’s mountainous regions. As well they should.

Mountainous regions around the globe consist of 12% of the World’s population, roughly 700 million people (Bishkek Mountain Summit). A small portion of which live in the country of Kyrgyzstan. Bishkek being the capital city of that country. The Ambassador of which has been gracious enough to accept me as an intern.

As you might be able to tell from the above paragraph, Kyrgyzstan has played no small part in the Sustainable Mountain Development Agenda. Having hosted a UN GA Summit on SMD, Kyrgyzstan is as focused as any other country and organization around the world on the implementation of resolutions adopted by the United Nations.

Noticeable resolutions include, A/Res/53/24, A/Res/57/189, A/Res/58/216, and others. These resolutions define Sustainable Mountain Development, as set forth by the United Nations. They encourage awareness of such issues as soil erosion, poverty, water pollution, deforestation, loss of indigenous culture, and much more. They also provide insight into potential solutions and urge for collaboration between actors at all levels, from governmental to local.

Whether it be instituting zoning laws or providing land for new national parks or even getting the neighborhood Boy Scout troop or YMCA group to pick up trash and learn about disaster relief, people who care, like those mentioned in the beginning, can make a difference. I am learning that in my readings and they are changing my perspectives and strengthening my resolve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment